Hi guys,
I recently had a problem on my android phone where it wouldn't sync my google calendar. On going into the account sync under settings, all sections of my google account services other than my calendar were syncing fine.
I did a google search for this after disabling and enabling, resting the phone etc. I didn't find I direct solution to the problem from my web search but I did find other having this same error for either the google calendar or other google services such as the chrome web data sync.
So yesterday, after my s planner calendar app not being able to sync since the 3rd of December, I made the following changes. I can't say specifically which one of these resolved the problem for me but it is working fine again now.
Ok so firstly I enabled calendar sync under my google exchange sync account. I use this purely for email as it doesn't pull the 3 separate calendars under my google account properly. I don't think this fixed the problem however as I think I turned this off quite a bit before the sync on my normal google account stopped working.
Secondly, I installed googles own calendar app. Tried it before to see what it's like and I'm not a fan of the month view, the week view is really nice and the event creation with address book search for address is great by the way. This syncs directly with your google calendar rather than relying n your android phone account to sync the data like S Planner does. Not convinced this was the fix either.
Now one of the next two actions would be my bet at the fix however I can't say for sure. Because I did all 4 things one after another and it was fixed when I checked. Sorry it's not mo specific but I was doing it before leaving for work and was running low on time.
So the third thing I did was to log into my google dashboard and clear the chrome sync data. This means you then have to re sync everything like you did the first time you logged into chrome with your account. If you need your pc bookmarks on the go I wouldn't recommend doing this without access to your pc you'll need to log into chrome again with your google account details to get all your desktop bookmarks.
Lastly, I use Calengoo as my main calendar app. This syncs directly to my google account also so wasn't affected by the problem. The reason I wanted to fix the problem is because I like the Galaxy S3 alarm where it reads my appointments for the day as well as the weather and news headlines. That feeds from S Planner. In Calengoo, I turned on Android calendars, refreshed Calengoo then saw all the events had duplicated. I disabled the Android calendars again, went to S Planner and it was fully synced again. Checked the account sync in settings and that was working fine too.
I'm not completely sure which if the above changes fixed the issue for me but it saved having to remove my google account from my phone and re add it. Not sure what the consequences of doing this would be but I think a sync to my pc would be wise before hand if I were to have gone with this option. I do however think it was probably the chrome sync. Maybe a bug in Jellybean or just with the chrome sync, I'm not sure but that seems to fix the problem when's its the chrome data itself that won't sync (from what I've read).
If anyone else takes a more systematic approach to this and gets it fixed I'd be interested to know specifically what resolved the issue in case it reoccurs. Hope this helps some others out there as I know it's annoying.
Jim
No comments:
Post a Comment